BUSG 1373 - HCC Fall 2011 Second Start
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Link to "The One Minute Manaqger"

+3
bctripp
BlodgettKevin
Admin
7 posters

Go down

Link to "The One Minute Manaqger" Empty Link to "The One Minute Manaqger"

Post  Admin Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:02 am

Admin
Admin

https://busg1373.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Link to "The One Minute Manaqger" Empty One Minute Manager

Post  BlodgettKevin Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:48 pm

First of all I would like to say that I am a huge fan of Dr.'s Ken Blanchard and Spencer Johnson.

Among "The One Minute Manager" I have also benefited greatly from:

"The One Minute Entrepreneur"
"Who Moved My Cheese"
"The One Minute Negotiator"

The One Minute Manager basically describes three business ethic principles that many successful managers practice.

As mentioned before I have read their previous works, and practice some of the very same principles told in the One Minute Manager. I always put my employees and myself on a level playing field. Although one of us officially runs the company, everyone else in the organization runs the company unofficially. Everyone has their own part. Especially in a new start up it is critical for a manager to be on the same page as his employees. Basically you have to apply the Golden Rule with everyone you encounter.

Your employees should always be thinking for new ideas to improve the company. Managers should always remain open so employees do not feel shuned and will not hold back any new ideas.

Managers should applaud their employees everytime they do something correct. The reason is psychological. The more positive feelings people have when doing things right, the more they will want to continue to do those things.

The part about One Minute Goal setting is similar to what one of my previous mentors taught me. He preached to me that "If something takes less than two minutes to do, do it and get it over with. The more little things that get done make a big difference in your mind when trying to accomplish a bigger task.

I always have a weekly brain storm session with my "team." I listen for new ideas, what people are saying, any complaints about other companies that we could possibly avoid etc. I always reward them as well. For instance, one of my sales reps came up with a good concept for an internet ad. So, instead of having all of the control, I let him take the ball on it. He will get all the credit in the world for it. Knowing he has my green light, and that his work will be a reflection of himself, he will expand all of his efforts into it. Which in the long run will only help my business.

You can start a company on your own, but you cannot run one on your own.

All in all, excellent book. Although I prefer their other works.

BlodgettKevin

Back to top Go down

Link to "The One Minute Manaqger" Empty Re: Link to "The One Minute Manaqger"

Post  bctripp Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:34 am

I like the content in the preview for "The One Minute Manager". When my company grows to a size that will require hiring on employees I'd like to have methods for efficiently teaching them how to do their job. I especially like the idea of having a way to minimize the time it takes to direct an employee since there is typically a lot of work to be done elsewhere. Setting goals and going back to check on your performance is something that I can use for myself, as well. I've found that when I take a moment to write down what I need to get done I am much better at actually getting things taken care of. There is less room to skip over something when you get busy and it just feels good to work through a list of things you need to get done.

bctripp

Back to top Go down

Link to "The One Minute Manaqger" Empty :)

Post  genet215 Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:27 am

[b]I agree!! I learned those lessons early on and for some reason it took me a long time to utilize them. I don't know why it works that way lol.
I loved the fact that this book makes you realize that its ok to slow down, gather your thoughts, document them accordingly and see the progress shoot through the roof! As for the whole employees feeling like they have the right to communicate their ideas to you...I completely leave that door open with Pretty Gurl Mobile. I want to hear opinions and ideas from anyone, even customers. So far I have used 2 great ideas, both are ones one of my employees gave me. I must admit, I feel a little guilty...like I'm supposed to pay them more for being so brilliant! Any suggestions to show my appreciation to them?? Other than gift cards and dinner...been there..done that. lol Wink

genet215

Back to top Go down

Link to "The One Minute Manaqger" Empty The One Minute. . .

Post  anacoello100 Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:23 pm

Easy to read and refreshing, The idea of brainstorming once a week sound very good, the techniques for training, Einstain's selection of what he would keep in his memory bank and not. This book has many good analogies and advises to take in consideration, as give the green light to an employee that wants to implement a web advertising commercial. sunny
anacoello100
anacoello100

Back to top Go down

Post  sharie boggan Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:11 pm

I think the "One Minute Manager" is a very good method of teaching. It is something that you can use in everyday living. The concept of taking baby steps before you can achieve a goal is so realistic that you cannot help but to achieve your goal. Then how he explains how easier it is to set small goals for yourself then that way they are easier to attain. i am really interested in purchasing that book. I enjoyed the little stories that were told very inspirational.

sharie boggan

Back to top Go down

Post  crystal.milburn Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:43 pm

I like very easy to read and understand when taking baby steps to get to your goal knowing what you want and going very shows in everyday base its how we live today

crystal.milburn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down